Bruce and I have been dating for two years. Things are going great- in fact, this is the first holiday season that we have decided to send out Christmas cards and do all of the crazy family activities together. (His family loves forced get-togethers, uncomfortable silences, and watching the Bears – my fam does hot chocolate, couches and Scattegories) It’s safe to say I’m really excited to see how everything pans out. Then I got to thinking…
I want the best Christmas card of all time. The Best. Of. All time.
Today, I want to share with you the top five elements that I think go into making a fantastic Christmas card.
1) Pets are a must. I don’t care if it’s a golden retriever, a kitten, your pet turtle named Urkel- it doesn’t matter. Pets up the cute quotient by 100 percent.
2) Don’t wear matching sweaters. Something put together? Sure. Illuminant smiles and a cute pose? Absolutely. Matching socks? It’s worth a shot.
3) Think of a cute caption. “Happy Holidays” Yes, it’s straight forward. But what about something that speaks to the two of you as a couple? For example, “Happy Holidays from your favorite Chicago couple!”
4) Play to your audience. What’s the right salutation for: Mom and Dad, friends you talk to you once a year, second cousins or coworkers? That’ll determine if you should use:
- “Love, Bruce and Sarah”
- “May your holidays be filled with joy! Keep in touch! – Bruce and Sarah”
- “Best wishes – Bruce and Sarah”
- “It is a pleasure being around you professionally – Sarah” (ok, maybe don’t say this haha)
5) Most importantly, keep it fun and fresh. If all else fails, just remember that everyone loves a Christmas card. Unless you have matching sweaters.
Good luck and happy